Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Francis Badrak
EDLD 5352
http://www.franbad.blogspot.com/

When I started this class I was not sure what to expect from this course. After reading the syllabus I gain insight in to the course. I knew that we would be learning about using technology in the classroom. I have worked with technology in the classroom and I gained a better understanding of what is expected of me as an educational leader when it come to technology issues. The outcome of the class was more that what I had envisioned.

There was a lot of work in this class. The readings and posting each week were time consuming but the more I read the articles and the responses from other students I gain a broader knowledge of the uses of technology in the classroom. I have never used a blog before so this was the new to me. This probably took the most time. I had to understand the steps in uploading some of our assignments and commenting on others work. What I learned in this class was vary relevant to my work and what we do in our schools and classrooms. I can see how blogging, wiki’s and podcast can work with students and teachers. I work in the area of Fine Arts so these recourses are very relevant to our work.

I achieved all of the outcomes from this class. Some of the assignments took longer to achieve but I did accomplish them. If I did not understand something I either researched or found someone who could help me. The readings and responses took a lot of time but were very informative. I learned what and how to use the Texas Star Chart. Until I took this class I was not aware of this document. I found the Long Range Plan for Technology 2006-2020 to be very helpful in working through this class.

I was very successful in carrying out the course assignments. For the most part, the assignments were clear and concise. There was some confusion during the first week with how to respond to the readings. Once this was cleared up, I had a better understanding of what the expectations for this portion of the assignment.

As an instructional leader for our district I learned a lot of things that will help me in the future. The first thing I learned was that there is a lot out in the cyber world that I need to learn. I learned how to create a blog and to post information on it. Creating a blog was new to me. I enjoyed reading the information about copyright laws as it pertains to the internet. I provide professional development on copyright laws to all of my Fine Art teachers each year. I can add a new strand to the in-service now to include copyright laws as they pertain to the internet. I have a better attitude about technology especially blogs, wiki’s and podcast. I can see now how all of these can be used not only by staff but by students. Theses types of resources can be integrated into the classroom.

Blogs and blogging will have a big educational value for the 21st century learner. The students can communicate with each other and the teacher to open up learning and conversation about a specific subject matter. Students sometimes feel more comfortable expressing their thoughts behind the computer. I feel this can open up a whole new world for many people.

I think the biggest concerns in blogs and blogging is the use of copyrighted material. Students have to understand the laws. As educators we have to teach the students to be appropriate with their comments and content. Teaching good ethics to the students is essential for blogging to be a successful form of education and communication. Students have to use blogs as a form of communication in a positive way.

Blogging can be used to communicate with stakeholders to communicate what is going on in your district. The stakeholders can also comment on the blog to keep an open line of communication to administration. They are the connection for all stakeholders to the digital world. The possibilities are endless we just have to be very creative in its use. Blogging can be brought to the desktop for professional development for the teachers. It can also be a great communication and learning tool for students who are absent or distant students. Blogs can also use in times of crisis. They can be used to announce important events such as rezoning and popular topics for parents.

Users of blogs should be informed of the risks and hazards that come with participating in them. We need to teach the blog users never to include personal information. Teachers should provide students with procedures to follow when blogging.

This was a very good class I enjoyed taking it and learned many things.

No comments:

Post a Comment